Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Turn and Face the Strange

It was 6 something in the morning on Sunday March 1st, our last morning in beautiful San Diego as Max's alarm goes off appropriately playing "Changes" by David Bowie, even though I protested the alarm music switch the night before as I had gotten used to waking up to "Pressure" by Queen. "Turn and face the strange," Bowie tells me,"Ch-Ch-Changes". I grumble a little bit before someone started yelling at me to wake up so I could go exploring.

Now home, I always find that a vacation, no matter how small is very mind clearing for myself. I am facing some extremely large changes in my life right now and I found Bowie's tunes to be encouraging. My whole life is being flipped around from the minor like graduating this June to the major by getting married in August. Not only is "tying the knot" a huge change itself, but I have to live with a BOY for the first time, in a house that is "ours". I will have to leave my safety net of school and start the 40 hour work week as he just got accepted into the fire technology program at Chemeketa Community College. Kyle and I are officially changing roles as it were, I will be trying to pay the bills while he puts his nose back in a book.

Even though I'm 24, this is the first time in my life where I feel like I can be acknowledged as an adult. I will potentially have people seeking my services as a photographer; someone will be depending on me to keep a roof over their head and food in their tummy. My cat population will significantly decrease from seven to two since because I cant afford vet bills and cat supplies for these little guys on my own. No longer will I be having the reassurance of my mom covering whatever I can't, like groceries or gas for my car, nor can I take off on random vacations whenever I get a wild hair. This is the first time in my life (aside from my three months in Italy) that I will not live under my mother's roof and the pennies are so scared they're jumping from my almost empty pockets!

"Oh, look out you rock'n'rollers, Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, turn and face the strange"
Sing on, David Bowie, Sing On.

No comments:

use code: BLES6830
Shop toys, games, books, video games, music and more! Buy Toys at YoYo.com
New customers to Yoyo.com, AfterSchool.com or other Quidsi sites only. $20 maximum discount. Subject to change or cancellation.